Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chewy Whole Wheat Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Too bad the lemon squares are all gone, but that only means I can make something else!   This time, I will make something a little bit heartier and healthier, so the kids won't be too wound up from all the sugary treats.

This is my "go-to recipe" for oatmeal raisin cookies.  I discovered this spicy oatmeal raisin recipe from Allrecipes.com almost 10 years ago and it's been a family favourite ever since.  Over the years, I have made a few subtle changes.  I should have an updated version so the kids can make it taste "like mom's".  

Out of pure laziness, I used Western Family's soft non-hydrogenated margarine instead of butter and shortening. I don't like waiting for butter to "soften" to room temperature.  A-ha! Soft margarine is *already soft*!   I love the taste of butter, but sometimes I need a break from its richness.  Another bonus: I find that the cookies remain soft and chewy the next day.  For some reason, my cookies turn out like hard hockey pucks when I use butter.

Instead of white all-purpose flour, I used whole wheat flour and no one noticed.  For the kids, I cut down the spices to make a smoother, milder flavour.  As well, I usually decrease the sugar but it's a personal preference.  I don't like my treats too sweet, or else my cabin-fever kids will be rebounding off the walls.  For playdates, I bump the sugar back to the original recipe, as I know that everyone has a sweeter palate than ours.  


One of my favourite kitchen toys is a medium sized ice cream scooper.  It easily makes lovely uniform cookies in record time.


Another tip in making soft and chewy cookies is to *underbake* the cookies.  I know they are done when the edges are turning golden brown but the middle still looks a bit gooey.  The tops are a little dry and instinct tells you it needs a few more minutes but actually they are ready to come out of the oven!  


Notice that the cookie on the lower left corner looks like it needs a few more minutes, but it is done!  You need to leave them on the pan for 5 minutes after you pull it out of the oven.  This will help set the cookie up.  Then transfer to a cooling rack. 



The cooling rack *was* full of cookies.  The kids saw hubby taste one and they nicely demanded that they needed one too.  I usually get 33 cookies out of this recipe.  At the end of the day, I think half are remaining. 

Chewy Whole Wheat Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
  
1 cup non-hydrogenated margarine (or half softened butter and half shortening)
1 cup packed light brown sugar (I can get away with 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup white sugar (I use 1/3 cup)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and raisins. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake. Let them cool for 2-5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely. Store in airtight container. Make sure you get some, because they don't last long!

- Adapted from Allrecipes.com: Beth's Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies




Enjoy!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!