Thursday, March 14, 2013

Curried Quinoa with Spinach and Goji Berries - Gluten-free and Vegan

Curried quinoa with spinach and goji berries were a great side dish for lunch yesterday.  I cooked up some fluffy quinoa and flavoured it with grated fresh ginger (I grated a slice of frozen ginger and it turned out great), turmeric powder, coconut oil, curry powder, cumin, coriander and no-salt seasoning (e.g. Mrs. Dash).  The dish needed a bit of colour, so I added some thawed frozen chopped spinach and soaked goji berries. I was inspired by a simple red lentil dahl recipe from the book Digestive Wellness.  Instead of lentils, I used quinoa.  


I threw this together at lunchtime.  I like my flavours mild, but if you like spicier or more stronger flavours, please feel free to double or triple the amounts of spices and seasonings.  I am watching my sodium, so I used no-salt seasoning (e.g. Mrs. Dash) instead of salt.   

If the quinoa mixture is too dry, you can add a little extra water or liquid from the soaked goji berries.  I think a little vegetable broth, orange or apple juice would be nice too.  

Curried Quinoa with Spinach and Goji Berries - Gluten-free and Vegan
2 servings

1/2 cup rinsed quinoa + 1 cup water (or 2 cups cooked quinoa)
2 tsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger (I grated frozen ginger)
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp no-salt seasoning (or salt and pepper to taste)
1/4 cup thawed frozen chopped spinach, drained
2 Tbsp soaked goji berries*
optional:  1-2 Tbsp water or liquid from soaked goji berries, if quinoa mixture is too dry

*More ideas for add-ins:
- raisins, chopped apples, chopped mango, diced bell pepper, green onions, fresh spinach, parsley, cilantro, etc.  

Cook quinoa according to the package (In a medium pot, bring 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa + 1 cup water to  a boil and simmer for 15 min, turn off heat and let stand for 5 min).  

When the quinoa is cooked, mix in the rest of the ingredients.  Enjoy!

- Adapted from Digestive Wellness Book:  Melody's Dahl

What I ate for lunch:  3 oz chicken breast topped with tomato/spinach/coconut milk sauce, curried quinoa, a large green salad and sauteed sugar snap peas.  
Enjoy!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.for my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
    Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure. I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet began to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr God hands whom god has bleesed with ancestral herbs gift to heal people with disease like .Cancers,Alzheimer's disease,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Diabetes, Multiple myeloma, Parkinson's disease,Neuroendocrine tumors,Herpes, Hiv/Aids,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,, chronic diarrhea, COPD,Love spell, Hepatitis... so i make a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have being watching my health for 6 years now and I actually comfirmed that his herbal medicines are permamnent cure and I'm so happy that i came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr God hands Email: doctorgodhands@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2349057214220. if you gone through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because really honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!